Dogs are usually attacked by parasites which affects primarily their digestive system. Some of the worms affect the normal working of the heart and blood vessels. If there is any animal on the face of the earth that is easily attacked by worms; it is dogs. Some of the most common worm which affects dogs the most are hookworm, tapeworm, heartworms, roundworms and whipworms. Heartworms can be very dangerous to the health of the dog and needs to be treated urgently, roundworms and hookworms are contagious and can spread the infection to other animals and human beings.
Some of the popular symptoms of worm infection are cough, bloated stomach, stools mixed with blood, diarrhea and dehydration, vomiting, hair loss, dull coat, and poor appetite. Some other types of infestation can be seen in the fur of the dog. The others require testing under a microscope.
The recommended home remedies for worms in dogs you can try out are as follows:
- Worm wood tonic can be administered to hinder further infestation. It can also expel worms from the body of the dog.
- Alternatively you can include any of the following to the food of your dog:
- Add peppermint and cinnamon to your dog’s food
- Add 2 teaspoons of oat bran to every dog meal
- Mix shredded carrot with the dog food.
- Crush garlic and mix it with cloves. There are anti-parasitic properties inherent in cloves.
- Mix grated garlic with fennel
To be able to treat infestation of worm in your dog, it has to be identified. Home remedies should only complement the treatment from a qualified vet. Hence whenever your dog is infested by worms, take your dog to a vet immediately. In addition, you can also treat your dog with any of the above listed natural remedies for effective and quick recovery.